Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"You are the best thing that's ever been mine"


After I fed Grant his lunch today, I kept him in his high chair with a sippy cup and some finger food to keep him busy while I cleaned up and did some dishes. Many times while doing this or cooking or whatever, I will put on the radio in our kitchen. I like to sing and dance silly in front of Grant to get him to laugh. He really seems to love the music. One song came on today, "Mine" by Taylor Swift, which is one that I sing to Grant a lot either at home, in the car, etc. I know it's technically a love song, but every time that I hear the lyric, "You are the best thing that's ever been mine" I think about both Grant and Doug. They truly are the best things in my life! When the song came on today, Grant started smiling--before I even started singing it or got his attention. This may be just a coincidence, but I like to think that he recognized it as the song I like to sing to him. I got him out of the high chair and danced around the kitchen with him in my arms, as he smiled and nuzzled against me. These are the moments I dreamed about when we were hoping for a baby or when I was pregnant. Tears filled my eyes, and all I could do was thank God for bringing Doug and Grant into my life. So many times I get completely filled up with strong emotions like this, that I can't believe I have what I do, and I just pray that all my loved ones can feel this way too at some point in their lives. I will never forget moments like these--it's what life is all about!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Oh, Julie, I'm so happy for you. But I'm even happier for Grant. He has no idea what a lucky little guy he is. Why can't all children be loved like this?