Sunday, March 21, 2010

29 Weeks

We are past 29 weeks now. I passed my glucose test, which is great, so now I don't have to go back for a 3-hour test that could diagnose gestational diabetes. That is a big relief. I also had my 8-week thyroid blood test this week. For those of you who don't know, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after my miscarriage in November of 2008. I continued to work with my doctor to regulate it with medicine. It took awhile after that to get it regulated. They now have to check it every 6-8 weeks while I'm pregnant to make sure I don't need to change the dose of my medicine, which is very safe to take and won't hurt the baby. My doctor says some women even take this medicine only when they are pregnant, because the baby can take more of the hormone and it may need to be regulated. I, unfortunately, may need to be on it forever, but if that is all it takes to be healthy, I am fine with that. I've only had to up the dose once, in the first trimester, and it has been good ever since.

Doug also got to practice changing a diaper this week--only this time on a boy. He has changed our niece Clara--or at least has watched her be changed, but we knew he needed to try it on a male baby to prepare for Grant! While with our new nephew Timmy, we all thought it would be a good idea for Doug to practice changing a boy, and luckily Kristen and Andy didn't mind Doug using their child for practice. Luckily, he did very well changing him, and Timmy was nice enough not to spray him during the process!

Grant is kicking up a storm this week, and I now seem to notice when he has the hiccups. Grandma Gates, Aunt Susanne, and Aunt Tammy have all been able to feel him move so far, so they are excited about that. A few other people have tried, but Grant doesn't always cooperate. I am also having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions this week--or at least that is what it seems to be based on what I read. There is no pain, but I just feel my belly tighten and harden for a little bit, then it relaxes. You can even see it rise and tighten, and it feels hard as a rock! A few evenings last week it happened on and off all night. This can apparently be normal to feel after 20 weeks, and it shouldn't be any problem as long as there is no pain. I plan to talk to my doctor about it at our 30-week appointment this Friday just to make sure, though. Just another fun, new experience of pregnancy!

1 comment:

Cole said...

Julie ! Glad to hear all is going well with the glucose and thyroid tests. Thyroid conditions run are common with women in my family, and I know they can be hard to regulate sometimes. So, I am glad to hear that you're doing well!

In any case, we're thinking of you guys and glad all is well!